Circolo Golf Ugolino
- 3 Via Chiantigiana per Str.
The British community in Florence brought golf to Italy in 1889 when they built an 18-hole course on land belonging to the prince Demidoff, just north of the city. In 1934 a new course was created at the edge of the beautiful Chianti country and the Ugolino golf club came into existence, taking over the mantle of the Florence golf club.
Ugolino has hosted numerous international competition the most outstanding being the 40th Italian Open in 1983. It was won, in the end, by Bernard Langer following a thrilling play-off with Severiano Ballesteros and Sandy Lyle. In 2009, in recognition of its long service to golf, the Italian Olympic Committee awarded Ugolino the Gold Medal for sporting achievement. As a further honour, Ugolino can claim no fewer than three out of the eleven members of the Hall of Fame of Italian golf, nominated by the Italian PGA. These are Baldovino Dassù, Federica Dassù and Franco Rosi, recognised for their contribution to the development of golf in Italy.